Sunday 12 June 2011

Smoking monkey with a hangover

I had the pleasure of helping some more smokers in Liverpool get out of the smoking trap today. We talked briefly about the amount of brainwashing which occurs and latent advertising through tools such as product placement.

Which reminds me, I felt like some mindless cinema last night so I went with a friend to go and see Hangover 2 - the first one was hilarious and I was looking forward to it.

Don't waste your money, never have I seen such an insipid sequel.

To add insult to injury (to my wallet) I was appalled to see the blatant glamourisation of smoking and implied abuse when a monkey was seen smoking. The monkey was made to look 'cute' smoking, a blatant message to potential young users that smoking is cool and harmless.

On top of this there appeared to be no concern whatsoever for the abuse of the money character who wasn't making an informed choice about smoking.

It's all made to seem so trivial - if you know me you know that irreverence is my middle name but this is trivialising a drug which kills 130,000 a year in the UK. Of course, the tobacco industry is aware that it eventually kills off its own consumers so it spends millions on stunts like these aimed at making smoking looking cool and cute and therefore attracting young new drug addicts.

As usual, they have blood on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment